Facebook

Wednesday, January 4, 2012

10 Questions With an Internet PR Girl


Adam: What is Your name and what do you do (Professionally)
Jennifer Nixon. My title is Online PR and Social Media strategist… but I figure that sound far too pretentious for a girl who blogs about burlesque dancing, vajazzle’s and getting drunk at the office Christmas party in her spare time, so let’s just say “Online PR girl”. To put it simply I make websites get noticed.

Adam: How many hours a day do you spend online?
On an average week day, if I’m not going out or doing anything special, I spend up to seven hours staring at the screen in work… then it can be anything up to 3 hours of a night – especially if I’m behind on blogging! (God, that makes me sound like a total geek doesn’t it?)
Adam: How do you use the internet differently between work and personal?
Well... I enjoy using the internet for personal use... free reign to blog, read interesting tales of other people and look at Google images of Sam Worthington to my hearts content, dream come true! For work it's all about ranking figures and keeping an eye on the competition!

Adam: Does your online life ever disrupt your real life?
Not really, although I find myself thinking how I can turn day to day situations into stories! I suppose I put myself in a lot of stranger predicaments to benefit my online life... but it also helps me deal with those embarrassing or awkward moments by giving me the silver lining of "I’ll make a good blog!"

Adam: What advice would you give to somebody that wants to increase traffic to their website?
For bloggers all I would say is stick at it! Stay true to yourself and keep writing even if you think nobody’s reading and take advantage of Twitter and Facebook to gain followers and find other blog you might enjoy. Triberr and Stumble upon are both brilliant ways to increase traffic to your website – so stumble every webpage that you like, always stumble your own sites – and keep an eye out for tribes connected to your niche that you might like to join.

Adam: What made you decide to start writing a blog? Would you ever consider blogging professionally, or is it merely a creative outlet for you?
I would love to blog or write professionally – that’s the dream right? As a kid I wanted to be a journalist, but during a brief stint working for a daily newspaper I had to cover a court case where a well-respected ex-judge was charged for drink driving on two accounts. The man’s son had just died and consequently his marriage had fell apart due to the stress and he snapped – It was a heart breaking story, and seeing him crumpled up in the courtroom nearly had me in tears – yet my editor asked for a “hard-hitting piece, slamming him for his errors”. That’s when I decided that I wasn’t going to sell my soul to chase a story, but I’d make my own stories… and so Scarlett started.
Adam: You write about things that most people would be too embarrassed (i.e. a drunken vajazzle evening) to share. Are there things that are off limits, that you won’t share?
Haha! Yes I do, which can be awkward when I know for a fact my mum is secretly subscribed. I haven’t always though – but when I first started my blog I kept a lot of my personality out of it and the whole thing was very cold and clinical… and it was totally shit. I had no readers anyway so it didn’t matter when I started writing about vajazzles and burlesque dancing because I didn’t think anyone would read it, so it was more of a diary to look back on when I got older – what I didn’t expect was the amount of people who would actually give a damn about me making a show of myself on a daily basis! I would never blog intimate details about my relationship – and although I only ever write things that really happen I always use a pseudonym for my friends and family.

Adam: Is there anything wrong with using internet or other social media at work?
No – although my boss would see that differently I’m sure. Obviously because of my job I have to use social media and the internet in a non-personal way… but the way I see it, if my colleagues can pop out up to 20 times a day for a 3 minute cigarette break, I can spend 3 seconds tweeting… Of course, don’t tell my boss that – I’ve still not accepted his Facebook friendship request!

Adam: What is the weirdest/worst thing that you that has happened to you because of your internet use?
 I've had a person send a few inappropriate e-mails and Facebook messages before - I suppose if you write about subjects that include burlesque and vajazzles you open yourself up to weirdo's assuming they can say whatever they want to you!

Adam: What is the best thing that you’ve ever gotten from your internet use?
Clichéd answer; but it would have to be my blog. Mainly because it’s helped me re-discover all of the wonderful, funny and down-right ridiculous things – and even when something is so embarrassing I want the world to swallow me up (pretty much every day) at least I can think “well, I can get a story out of this”. From my experience, when you write about your own life you take a lot more interest in the detail; from the big stuff to the random people you meet on the street – and often realise how lucky you are. It's also helped me discover fabulous blog such as this one and gain insight into the lives of many interesting people!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...