Facebook

Saturday, December 31, 2011

10 Internet Questions With A Social Media Savy Person


Adam: What is your name and what do you do (Professionally)
Austen Hawthorne. I am a Patient Account Representative at the University of Iowa Hospitals and Clinics Emergency Room. My duties include: collecting demographics from patients, financially securing emergency room visits, and various clerical responsibilities.

Adam: How many hours a day do you spend online?
Including both personal and work use, I estimate that I spend around eight hours per work shift and an additional six hours for personal use. That includes cell phone data usage when I am away from work and home.
Adam: How do you use the internet differently between work and personal?
Primarily, my internet use at work consists of verifying insurance and using various websites that are necessary to do a thorough job while I'm there. Personally, I use the internet for the following: keeping up with my favorite sport teams, banking, streaming movies and live television, and other research.

Adam: Does your online life ever disrupt your real life?
Not necessarily, but I do think that it has disrupted my personal goals. I spend a lot of time using the internet for many of my personal hobbies and as an online student that can interfere with the task at hand.

Adam: Facebook was originally started for college students. Do you think that social media has an age limit?
I do not think that social media has an age limit. Nowadays, users have the ability to group their friends/followers to control what they share with their friends, and we live in a society today where technology is necessary for most people to interact with one another. 

Adam: Is there anything wrong with using internet or other social media at work?
I believe so. My supervisors have the ability to track my internet use and I have received notice that Facebook is frowned upon while on the clock. I've also read that some employers require their hires to add them as a friend and some ask for passwords, and some people have been fired for their negative comments towards the businesses they work for. So, with that in mind, I do think that there is a big problem with using internet and social media at work because employers don't like it.

Adam: You try to use every type of social media. Why?
I use Facebook, Twitter, and barely use Google+. I like Facebook because I can connect with friends, former classmates and coworkers. Twitter allows me to express my random thoughts and to get updates and links to articles from my favorite sports writers. Google+ is new to me and is still in its infancy stage as a social media so as of right now it collects dust.

Adam: Do you think that people are able to be more honest with social media, or does the lack of policing allow people to be cruel?
This is an interesting question. I frequent many sports forums and I also love reading the comment sections on online newspapers like Press-citizen.com and Desmoinesregister.com and have been in disbelief by the blatant racism, sexism and other disrespectful comments from mostly anonymous users. Recently, websites have integrated Facebook software that requires commentors to login with their Facebook accounts. While I have noticed more respectful discourse, the comment section has drastically shortened. So, while social media has definitely made people more respectful, I do not believe that most people are as honest as they would be if they were posting anonymously because they are encouraged to post comments 'politically correctly' or else risk exposing their personal lives to others.

Adam: What is the weirdest/worst thing that you that has happened to you because of your internet use?
Nothing really weird or bad since I think I do a decent job of privatizing my overall message, but the day my mother joined Facebook she sent me a text right away telling me that having alcohol in my pictures was not wise. 

Adam: What is the best thing that you’ve ever gotten from your internet use?
Information. I am a self-proclaimed sponge that loves to read and having access to information at the tip of my fingertips daily is one of the greatest gifts of all. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...