Facebook

Thursday, December 1, 2011

30 Days Of Thanks:Tate (Son)

Dear Tate,

            As I write this letter, I am lying in your bed. I am here because you decided to sleep on the living room floor for no reason at all. I love that, and I hope that I never discourage you from being spontaneous and random. You remind me so much of myself that I get worried sometimes. You are energetic, caring, compassionate, sensitive, funny, competitive, excitable and such a good kid. You are just like your old man.
            Sometimes when people are young and their parents get frustrated with them, the parent will say something like, “One day you will have a kid just like you, and you’ll see.” This is often meant as an insult, but I can tell you this: I hope that when you grow up, I hope that you have a kid just like you. And I don’t mean that in an emotionally frustrated state. I say that as I am calm and lying in the bed that was mine as a kid. Sometimes I feel as if I’m spoiled to have a son such as you. Thanks for that.
            There are times that you get so worked up that you run into your room and bury your face in a pillow crying. I understand. That was me, too. I understand when you get so excited that you have a difficult time getting it out in word or fall over from a standing position. I understand. Let me tell you this, too: it isn’t unmanly to have feelings.
            There will be times in your life that will be difficult because you did the right thing. You should never feel ashamed of that. There will be times in your life because you are lonely, but not just anybody will do. Be patient. Be kind. Be a good man and things will work out. That’s the only way that I can explain finding your mom.
            You are funny and incapable of lying. Thank you for that and please don’t ever change. You are clever, creative and hungry for knowledge. You want to know how to read so bad that every night you practice your letters by having me write them on your back. You flip through books on your own and you’re always asking why. Please don’t ever stop doing that. And as much as I’d like you to think it, I’m not always right and it is okay to say so.
            Every night, I give you a kiss and tell you that I love you. If I’ve worked late, I still come in and whisper that in your ear. Sometimes when I tell you that I love you, you get annoyed and say something like, “I know, dad. You always tell me that.” I think that it is important that you hear it. You are and will always be my favorite little boy.
Love,
Dad

1 comment:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...