Facebook

Friday, November 4, 2011

30 Days Of Thanks: Cree

Dear Cree,
            One thing that has always bothered me is when people insist that their kids call their friends “aunt” or “uncle”. To be honest with you, it wouldn’t bother me if the kids did start calling you Uncle Cree. I remember when Leigha first went back to work and you would come over every week and help me watch Tate. More often than not, we would watch movies or play video games as he slept. It has now been nearly five years, and both kids get excited every time that you come over to visit.
       I am both happy for you that your business is going well, but it is unfortunate that it means that we don’t really get to hang out anymore. I miss the days that you were available during the daytime or whenever my random schedule was free.
           I remember the first time that I met you and I didn’t realize how prophetic the moment was. I had come to visit Josh and was sleeping on the couch, down in the basement. You walked out of your bedroom, cigarette in hand, said “Hey” and walked away in the dark. I have never met anybody else who could have somebody come over to visit you, sit down next to you and then ask where you were. Amazing. What has really blown my mind is that it happened more than once in front of me. Good ‘ol Creeper.
            As we all know, I didn’t drink before I came to college. Then you introduced me to the Century Club. I feel safe blaming you for many drunken nights and the onset of full-blown obesity.
            I had always though of you as one of my old roommates, then when I think about it, we were only roommates for one semester. Then came the Arizona years. Then came the brutal transition for you: we were looking for something and you didn’t know anybody that could help us out. But I did. You lost your “this is my town” aura.
            You have been a great help with finishing my basement. It is amazing that it only took about four years of coming over most weekends and working on it together to finally get it finished. Thanks for that.
            You are one of those types of friends that is a lifer. I know that no matter how far apart that we wind up, that we’ll never lose contact. Thanks for all that you’ve done and for laughing when nobody else gets the joke.

Love,
Adam

2 comments:

  1. Adam I am enjoying your letters. Not only are they a great idea but they're a great insight into you and your life.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Paul. I had thought about doing this before I knew that it already existed. I figured that I would do it in November because of Thanksgiving. Turns out that somebody else must have been thinking along the same line. I encourage anybody to do this to either maintain correspondence with people or talk to those that you've otherwise lost contact with. I hope that you keep reading them throughout the month.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...