Facebook

Saturday, November 26, 2011

30 Days Of Thanks: Janet

Dear Janet,
            For as long as I can remember, you have always been the fun aunt. I’m not sure if that is because of your rabid fandom of teeny bopper music, your general knowledge of pop culture, or because you’ve never talked to me as a kid. Not to say that you were never kidding. In a way, you are like my mom with a sense of humor. And not obsessively crazy.
            More than anybody from my extended family, you are the one to maintain contact. You set up a job interview with your work. You’ve written me on Facebook and followed my blog. Thanks for that. Sometimes I forget how badly you wanted to be a part of the family, regardless of the fact that you already are. First, you bought our old house, the one that is now an abandoned crack house. Don’t worry, I don’t blame you. Then you moved in with Mom. She might be too proud, but I know that it was a mutually beneficial setup for you guys.
            It seems like, because you never had boys, I spent less time at your house. That was more Heather and Alyssa hanging out. But you were always the aunt that I was looking forward to talk with the most. I remember that you wouldn’t scoff at the joking back and forth between dad and me. You would jump right in and add to the puns. I know that it might cause others to groan or roll their eyes, but I really appreciate when somebody else is willing to have a match of wits.
            Thanks for always being that person that doesn’t get stressed out crazy during our holiday get-togethers. It seems like you would always be the one to come over and let us know that the request to carry something or do something inane, that it was a ridiculous request. You would roll your eyes or give that “I’m sorry” look.
            Thanks for letting me play Super Nintendo at your house. I remember being super jealous that you had bought the thing and nobody was around to appreciate its awesomeness. Thanks for spending all of you hard-earned money on all of my future endeavors. I know that you will tell everybody that you love all of the merchandise, regardless of if it is crap or not. Thanks for embracing my weird and random nature. AND encouraging it. Some families need a bit of levity; thanks for helping me bring it.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...