Facebook

Sunday, November 6, 2011

30 Days Of Thanks: Josh

Dear Josh,
            If there was ever anybody that would qualify as an adopted sibling, it would be you. I remember a time when I hoped that you would marry my little sister so we could officially be brothers. But then I realized that marriage doesn’t make anybody closer than an existing relationship of brotherhood. Plus, Heather always thought that you were gay.
            When I think back, I honestly can’t remember when we first met. I realize that it was during the sixth grade. But with my parents getting a divorce that year and me moving to another school, I get a bit hazy about things around that time. From what you say, we would sit around making fun of another kid, which sounds right.
          I remember that your family wasn’t as quick to accept me as I thought that they should. Your dad thought that I was lazy because I didn’t have job (which I was). Your mom thought that I ate everything in your house because that is what your brother told her. To him, I was another person to chase around with a loaded gun. I think that your sister was the first person to accept me as a non-idiot. I think that she saw that we synced up well. You had a car and a willingness to drive me around.
         There are countless times that I think back with a smile. The time that we both ended up with darts stuck in us. Or us doing an in-the-car Chinese fire drill while going 85. (Kids, don’t try that) Or the incalculable amount of money that you used to start priming the pump for my “how much would you pay me…” events. Mmm…beer brat marinade. Or the time that you asked the cop to draw your outline. How were you supposed to know that he had just come from a fatal car crash?
            You have always been a bit of an enigma. For years, people looked to me for insight on Josh as well as blamed me by association. Thank you for always being willing to say what other people think but don’t say. Thank you for buying me a Super Nintendo for Christmas. Whoever heard of an high school buying his friend a gift of over $100? I certainly never returned THAT favor.
            I know that we’ve grown farther apart over the years due to life and children, but I know that you would be there if I really needed you. Thanks for that. I am super pumped and honored to perform your wedding ceremony next summer.

Love,
Adam

P.s. Sharp as a….[if you know, you know.]

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...