Facebook

Friday, November 11, 2011

30 Days Of Thanks: Mom

Dear Mom,

            It has been nearly 32 years since the most deformed of your children was born. Thank you for not giving up on me or giving me up. I don’t often think about my club foot and even less about my jaundiced birth. While the second isn’t that uncommon or that big of a deal to fix, the foot was quite an ordeal. Thank you for making the weekly trips to the University of Iowa Hospitals and Clinics to help me get to the point where I don’t HAVE to think about my foot.
            While I think of the pictures of me crawling up the stairs with shoes that have a metal bar across them, I am glad that it happened to me when I was too young to remember or realize what was going on. In fact, I rarely think about the reconstructive surgery in ’93, too. When I do, I don’t really think about the pain that was associated with the procedure or the rehabilitation. I think about being on crutches for the summer and progressively increasing their height. I think about wrapping a garbage bag around my cast and going out in the rain. And I think about you going to all of my appointments with me and asking all of the questions.
            I have always though of you as my practical parent. I remember when I was moving away for college and you took me shopping for supplies. If it wasn’t for you, the house that I lived in wouldn’t have had a spatula or toilet brush.
            Thanks for sending me those giftcards for the grocery store. I can’t remember if it bought me more mac ‘n cheese and ramen noodles, or if it got me away from them for a bit. I am pretty sure that you did buy me some booze, though. So, thanks for that.
            I know that while I never did anything to warrant me getting into too much trouble, I’ve spent my life pushing your buttons and testing you. Or, as it were, smacking your butt to get a rise out of you. You know that once you quit freaking out when I did it, it stopped being for me and I quit. And I won.
            You have changed quite a bit since I was a kid, too. Or, as I like to think of it, evolved. I mean it as a compliment when I tell you that you are a better grandparent than a mom. You’ve learned to stop analyzing jokes and just laugh. Occasionally, you even make one of you own.
            Thank you for instilling in me a work ethic for providing for my family and also helping me to realize how important a work/life balance is. Thanks for giving all of us kids a sense of independence and responsibility. Thank you and I love you.

Adam

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...