Facebook

Friday, November 18, 2011

30 Days Of Thanks: Corina (Foreign Exchange Student)

Dear Corina,

            When you came to stay with my family, I was a freshman in college. I was going to a community college that I didn’t want to go to while my friends were going to Universities that they had gotten accepted into because they had applied themselves. You and I would sit around in your room (with the door open) and talk about missing our friends.
            Out of all of our foreign exchange students, you were, by far, the most active in living the American teen lifestyle. You had a boyfriend; you were in band and different clubs in school. You played sports and were social. Basically, all of those things that kids do in school that I was too lazy to do until my senior year. At first thought, I wondered why we didn’t hang out more away from the house. Then I remembered that I had neither a car nor a license.
            I will always remember you as a girl with a smile on her face and cheeks like a baby; perfect for pinching. You were the first foreigner that I shared the American experience of TPing with. I’m still not sure if this is an American thing or not. It certainly seems to fit in with the wasteful living style of Americans.
            “Hey, let’s go take a bunch of toilet paper and throw it up in the trees of somebody’s house!”
            But as we both know, it was always great fun, and I hope that you took the tradition back to Germany with you.
            One thing that I always loved about you was your willingness to laugh at yourself. It was a fateful day when I found a statistic that stated that the average German only takes a shower/bathes every 2.3 days. Thus, you became the dirty German. Who would have known that for Christmas that year, nearly everybody would give you scented soaps and perfumes? I promise I didn’t let your parents in on it.
            Thank you for always being so cheerful and positive. Every time I see the book “Guess How Much I Love You”, I think of you. I sorta feel like I should also thank you for leaving a void in Brandon’s life only to be filled by hanging out and giving me rides everywhere. Thanks for visiting me in Iowa City. It was great to see you again. Thanks for being like that little sister that I never fought with.
Love,
Adam

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...