Facebook

Friday, November 25, 2011

30 Days Of Thanks: Dave (Step Dad)


Dear Dave,
            Of anybody on my list, our past is the most checkered. I was just beginning my life as a teen when you and mom got married. I remember getting ready, putting on our tuxedos together. I also remember trying to enjoy the botanical center, only to keep getting bumped by the photographer.
            I know that things were strained between you and your sons due to distance and the normal strains of divorce. But I must tell you that I never blamed you or though that you were taking away my mom or replacing my dad or really any of those things that you see happening in after-school specials.
            Things were strained at the beginning for us because you were a practical man that fixed things and worked with his hands. I was a boy who was interested in video games and comic books. I pretended with my friends about superheroes and movie stars. Basically, I was a normal teenager, so what goes without saying is that I pushed the limits with people, was sloppy, selfish and a jerk. I can never imagine what it is like to inherit kids like that. Not only that, there were two other girls involved in the deal. From somebody that has a daughter now, all that I can say is sorry about that.
            Thank you for introducing me to football. What you started as a seedling of Nebraska Cornhusker fandom blossomed into a full-fledged fan of both Iowa Hawkeye and Green Bay football. In high school, I decided to stop being so lazy and joined the football team. I didn’t know anything about the sport. Touchdowns, hitting people and big guys. I was never really good at the sport because I never really learned the rules nor the plays. Plus I never had the aggressive and killer instinct for the sport. I remember one time when you showed me a hand-drawn picture of an erection wearing a football helmet, with the “Hard Nosed Huskers” written below. Some would say that it is offensive, crass and inappropriate for showing kids. I say that it was exactly how you relate to a teenage boy.
            Thank you for the time that you helped me make a jewelry box and birdhouse for gifts. You have an incredible gift for not only woodworking, but for a general ability to fix things. Thank you for the help that you’ve provided with finishing our basement. By the way, you were the inspiration for wanting to finish a crossword puzzle.
Adam

2 comments:

  1. I really liked this letter. Your step dad reminds ke a lot of my grandad and what i consider to be a mans man. something i've never claimed to be.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm glad that you liked it, Paul. This might have been the hardest letter for me to write.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...